Monday, May 10, 2010

Unit 7 - exercise 4

Part 1. "Meeting Ascipeius"

I sat and listened to track #4 at least twice this week. The first time I wanted to just hear what it was like before I sat and meditated on it. I was actually a little freaked out by the vision light coming through the eyes and the throat part. That just sounded like a scary movie. I guess because I don't like scary movies; when it came to the meditation portion, I have to admit that I didn't really vision any light eluminating through the eyes or throat. However, the experience was not wasted; I thought of my father-in-law. He passed away in July 2001. I looked to him for many answers when it comes to my husband, he is a complicated man with many family issues. I really miss him and so this lesson brought back many memories of him. The way this exercise could help me to foster greater health and wellness is to remember the good times with dad and all of the memories I still carry. These make me happy and so when I feel stressed, I could think of them and then I would feel happy again.

Part 2 - "One cannot lead another where one has not gone himself"

Basically, it means unless you have experienced something for yourself; you can not teach it to others. You must have experienced it and understood it before you can show it to others. This does reflect on the health and wellness profession because people want to follow someone who has experienced or practiced what they are trying to teach. I personally think any health care professional that is going to teach psychologically, physically, and spiritually, should have stories or lessons in the subject before they can pass the information to someone else. To implement these teachings into ones life it has to be worked on and practiced. If there is no practice than a person can not grow in the profession.

4 comments:

  1. Laurie
    I can totally relate to what you siad about the light part being a little weird I felt the same way, yet this was the first meditative practice that I feel I actually gor something out of. As soon as the exercise began I thought of my Mom, she may not have always given me the best of advice but she was still my hero. At first it was hard thinking about her but as the exercise went on I felt a sense of calm come over me. It was as if she was really right there with me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay I'm glad others were a little freaked out about the light vision through the different parts of the body. I did really enjoy this particular exercise and was not the least bit frustrated trying to make some kind of special subtle mind happening because it just did happen without a lot of focus. This was a great exercise for me.

    I agree as health care providers we have to take the responsibility of practice what we are teaching without it there can be no trust with our clients nor success in their treatments.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now that I think about it, the light vision does seem a little freaky. I think I need to do this meditation more to see more benefits. The problem is making the time...something I need to work on. I may try to do it again today when the house is (hopefully) quiet and I can completely focus. I am so glad you were able to picture someone that you knew and who is special to you. Were you two close when he was alive? I agree that professionals should know from experience or have a background knowledge of what they are trying to teach, etc. I always relate that to how no one would want to hire me as their trainer if I was completely out of shape and had no knowledge of nutrition and fitness...same goes for health care providers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Laurie:

    The light aspect was definitely different and I found myself thinking too much about why I was supposed to see the light emanating from a particular part of the body; the logical analysis took something away from the practice's major intention of relaxation.

    However, I enjoyed the part of the exercise where we connect with a respected guide and meditate on their wisdom and greatness, then see their wisdom and light poured into us.

    I also agree that people want to treat with someone who has been where we are and is now where they'd like to be in the area of their specialization. I wouldn't want to trust my finances to a broke financial planner; likewise, I only want the spiritual, psychological, and physical advice of someone well trained and personally successful in these areas in their own lives.

    ReplyDelete